Boko Haram has attacked the 333 Artillery Barracks in Maiduguri, Borno state on Monday evening.
Around 11.20pm the insurgents fired shots I to the barracks which is a short distance from the Nigerian Air Force base in the ancient city.
Boko Haram had initially attacked some parts of the town before heading to the barracks.
A resident, who did not want to be named, said the insurgents had earlier abducted some travellers on Maiduguri-Damaturu road.
Independently verify this allegation and the telephone line of Musa Sagir, army spokesman, was out of reach at the time of filing this report.
The battle with the insurgents was ongoing at the time of this report.
Tajudeen Umar, a Maiduguri resident, told TheCable that loud explosion roused him from sleep.
Boko Haram has continued to carry out different attacks despite the government’s claim that they have been defeated.
“We are under serious attack in this city. Sounds of gunshot and bombs from different direction. I can’t tell precisely where this is from but the sounds are clear,” he said.
The attacks happened on a day the service chiefs marked their fifth anniversary in office.